Friday, June 17, 2011

Like mother, like son.

My second child is more like me than the other two.  He is way too smart for his own good.  He is charming.  He understands how to get along with his peers AND mine.  He is sensitive and loves snuggle time.  He reads well but is bored to death with traditional classroom learning.  He has a temper.  He likes to have the last word.  He says "I'm sorry".  Sometimes he wines to get his way.  He likes spicy salsa.  And he is hysterically funny.  He loves to laugh and to make others laugh.  He never cares if you're laughing at him or his joke or whatever...he just loves a good laugh.  He is frequently the "class clown" of our nightly family dinners.  I am frequently telling him to settle down at the dinner table.  What amazes me most about his humor is how darn quick-witted he is.  He is 8. 

The other day, our cousin was in labor with her first child.  There were some scary moments at first but then labor continued and I told the kids that a baby was coming!  Of course, my 8-year-old is impatient (also like his mother) and wants to know WHEN?  I tell him that we don't know because she may have a c-section or vaginal delivery.  He wants to know what a c-section is. I tell him.  He then asks what a vaginal delivery is (he knows the answer to this question, he just wants to see if he can make me squirm).  I tell him it is when a woman pushes her baby out through her vagina.  His response?  UUUGHHH.  I say, "What do you mean, ugh, it's how you were born!"  He tells me, "Gross, mom...I have to take a shower!".  How does he know to say something so perfectly funny? 

Last weekend, my boyfriend and I were sitting outside watching the kids play basketball.  He was complementing me on being a great mommy.  I told him I couldn't imagine not having his help.  We looked out at the boys and got a little misty-eyed.  I said I was glad that he was helping me raise such good boys.  It was a very sweet moment.  Just then, my comedian walks up and my boyfriend asks him if he is happy.  He says yes.  We smile at each other and I realize all this is making me way too emotional so to ease the moment I say, "But are you well-adjusted?"  He says, "No way!"  That's my boy!!  And of course we are cracking up at the irony of his answer.  This kid!  I tell ya...he makes me so proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment